Thursday, September 3, 2009

Bum Bum

Munchkin loves bees. And we have quite a few at our house. One of his favorite things to do this summer is go outside and watch the bees. He calls them "bum bums" which is his way of saying bumble. He calls all the bees bum bums even though they aren't all bumble bees.

He loves bees so much that he would blow them kisses and try to touch them.......

Maybe I should say he loved bees. After tonight who knows. You know where I'm going with this don't you?

I've tried all summer to keep him from touching them. I've tried to tell him they will hurt him. But he is a 19 month old boy. Need I say more?

Tonight he finally picked one up and it stung him. He picked it up, dropped it, looked at me with a worried expression, said, "HOT" and then proceeded to cry. Wheep is more like it.

I got the stinger out of his thumb and tried to console him. Mason and his mom were outside playing with us. She suggested putting mud on it. I tried that and it did not work at all. Especially since Munchkin hates having dirty hands.

We came inside, and I called my mom. I put a paste on it consisting of cold water and baking soda. Again, more wheeping. I tried to put ice on his thumb, but he wouldn't have it.

I was worried about how he would react to the sting. He is prone to allergies, (I'm convinced he has some) and has asthma. He was crying so hard I couldn't tell if he was wheezing or having trouble breathing. Finally I got him to stop crying. No wheezing, no trouble breathing. And almost no swelling. His them was swollen, but the rest of his hand, fingers, wrist and arm were fine. I'll admit, I was surprised.

He is a picture of his thumb. This was after we had gotten him to play in a bowl of ice water and had given him benedryl so you can barely tell it was swollen. Even so, it was never much bigger than it is in this picture except for soon after it happened.

(Sorry this isn't a very good picture. But you try and get a 19 month old boy to hold his hand still.)

No comments:

Post a Comment