Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving Week

With this being the week of Thanksgiving, the next few days I would like to write about those things that have currently been on my mind that I am thankful for. Today, I will start with that which is most important to me, my faith.

Lately our pastor has been preaching on the book of 1 Peter. The letter was written to a people, much like the Christians of today. Just as the Christians during the period of the letter, we too live in a world that does not accept us. We are seen as "wrong" and "evil" for what we believe. Daily we are in constant struggle to keep the rights that we have. Furthermore, we feel more and more like we are refugees, aliens, etc. We feel this way because simply, this is not our home.

Man, have I been feeling that way lately. Did anyone watch the American Music Awards last night? If that didn't make me feel homesick for Heaven, I don't know what would. Our culture today is shocking, and it is getting worse. I am so incredibly thankful for my faith and the knowledge of Christ and what asking Him to enter my life has done. Because of this faith I can watch things like the American Music Awards and be heartbroken over the things people without faith value. I know that happiness is not what is most important. I know that a life with Christ provides a peace and hope that is more valuable than momentary happiness. I know that joy isn't found in having a lot of money, everyone knowing your name, and wearing expensive clothes. Because of my faith my heart is filled with songs about grace and mercy, hope, peace, comfort, joy, holiness, etc. not things like having sex, being powerful, breaking up, or how wonderful I am.

So today, and basically every day, I am most thankful for my faith. What are you most thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment