Thursday, December 5, 2013

Iowa's not so bad

Hubby's new job is in Iowa, but we're living in Missouri. We thought about moving to the town where he works, but it just didn't seem to fit. Growing up in this area of the country, you're taught not to be a big fan of Iowa, or should I say, Idiots Out Walking Around?

Hey, don't blame me, it's what I was taught as a child!

Yes, I'm happy to be on the Missouri side of the state line. It is where I grew up, after all, but today, I made a trek across the border to my other option for a grocery store. It is a longer drive, but I needed another option - a better option. I have to admit, I was a bit apprehensive. Man, do I ever miss my Price Chopper in the city!

I was pleasantly surprised! I don't think I've ever been so excited about a grocery store. I felt kind of tense as I walked in, expecting to be disappointed and wondering how I'll ever survive not being a Chopper shopper. But the more I shopped, the more I relaxed. I realized that I can do this. There are options in this store. It is bigger than HyVee, the produce is much better and has much more variety. I can get pretty much everything I need at the new store. Granted, it is still significantly smaller than my city grocery store with significantly fewer options, but promising nonetheless.

One fun feature is the meat counter. It is like an actual butcher shop. You don't go to the meat cooler and pick up some prepackaged meat - you tell the butcher behind the counter what you want and he packages it for you. I heard this store was the place to get meat, and I'm guessing this is where I'll buy the majority of ours from now on. (I'm sure my Smalltownsville friends are all laughing at me.)

Want to know something else that redeems Iowa?

No food tax!!!!!!

It pays to cross the state line and drive a little further to get groceries in Iowa. Pun intended.

Oh, and they also took all my groceries out of my cart for me, put them on the check out counter, wheeled my cart of bagged groceries to my car, and put them in the car for me. Who knew you could feel so pampered buying groceries?

Take that Price Chopper in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment