Saturday, August 1, 2009

Confession

I have a problem. It isn't quite an addiction, but is borderline crazy.

You see, sometimes I get this overwhelming urge to clean. I can't predict when it will hit, but when it does I can't deny it. I keep my house pretty clean during the day to day, but sometimes I just have to clean everything, all at once, and I won't stop until it is done. It is like I need the whole house clean ASAP. I try to keep the house picked up every day. I can't stand dirty dishes, so they are rarely seen in my kitchen, but when this urge hits I have to deep clean everything. Dusting, vacuumin, putting away, throwing out, mopping, cleaning toilets, mirrors, sinks, etc. I have to do it all, and I have to do it now. And I won't stop until it it done.

Yes, this urge even hits me sometimes late at night - right before bed. It is like I can't sleep unless I clean. Hubby is learning to get out of my way when these urges hit because I cannot relax unless I clean. In general I relax so much better when everything is clean, but when these urges hit you would think my life depended on a clean house. (Please don't call Dr. Phil.)

I had one of those urges this evening. I had to clean the entire house. No I really HAD to. It was just about supper time, and the urge hit. Hubby and Munchkin were getting ready to leave anyway to go with Aunt N. to the doggie park - what a perfect time for the urge to hit. I would be all alone, without any distractions, for an extended period of time! I could clean to my heart's content! And boy did I! I can't remember the last time I was able to clean the whole house all at once. Since Munchkin's come along I'll dust one day, a few days later I'll clean bathrooms, I'll vacuum when I have the time and mops floors as needed. But tonight I got to do it all! And I loved it. No, I mean I. Loved. It.

It probably has some underlying meaning like I get these urges when I feel like my life is out of control, so I do the one thing I can control - cleaning my house. Maybe someday my loved ones will have an intervention. But until then I'll relish the times I get these urges and actually have the chance to act on them. I mean, as a mom, how many times will I actually be able to clean my whole house all at once?

2 comments:

  1. I love it! I totally understand the irrepressible urge to clean! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing. Especially if I have homework to do. If I have homework I can't do it until the entire house is clean.

    ReplyDelete