Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A New School Year Approaches

While I was fixing lunch this afternoon I was thinking about the new school year getting ready to start. Teachers here in the district where I taught before I stayed at home will be going back to work on Thursday. Kids start school here next week!!!! That got me to thinking about what I would be doing today if I were still teaching. I thought about getting my room ready, writing lesson plans, axiously awaiting my class list from my principal, catching up with the other teachers, etc. This was always such an exciting time of year.

However, as I was fixing my lunch today I also thought about what my lunches were like when I was teaching. They were always rushed. It was sometimes my only chance to check my mailbox, make phone calls, go to the bathroom, get everything ready for the afternoon lessons, solve any problems that may have happened at recess (which was right before lunch), and in the midst of all this have some time with other adults and actually eat. And that was just on the days when I wasn't eating lunch in my classroom with some of my students. Yes, today I was thinking how blessed I am to be able to stay at home.

Don't get me wrong I loved teaching. I always knew it was what I wanted to do, and I loved doing it. Will I go back to it? Maybe someday. But for now I'm just going to enjoy my lunches at my dining room table with just me and my Munchkin - eating in the quiet (except for when he's jabbering!), looking out the window at the flowers, eating until we're done rather than until the bell rings to tell me I have a class of children waiting on me, and simply enjoying one another uninterrupted.

P.S. I will be posting pictures again, but for now this is the only computer that is working, which happens to be the computer we don't put pictures on. Our other computer isn't broken, we actually switching computers so Hubby is in the process of getting things squared away for us. Until then, you'll just have to be satisfied with my random thoughts. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment