Thursday, February 19, 2009

Deuteronomy 6

No, I hadn't forgotten. I was just trying to find a good enough chunk of time to write this post. Actually, I've been writing it in chunks as I've found the time. So let's begin. Why did I name my blog "Symbols On My Hands"?This chapter in the Bible is one that I've read before. However, last month in church, it was brought to my attention again - and this time it impacted me in a way it never had before. Does that ever happen to you? I just love how God uses different scripture in different ways at different times in our life. Some people don't see the Old Testament as being revelant to today and the truths in it don't hold true today;s society. To that I say, if any part of the Bible isn't relevant or true, then none of it is. Besides since when has the culture and society determined what truth is? Sadly, some people believe it to be so. Anyway, I digress.

I suppose one reason this chapter has impacted me more greatly is because this was the first time I'd read it since being a mother. With my grandpa just turing 89 and losing two other grandparents just within the past couple of years (along with becoming a mother myself) I am realizing more than ever how important it is to pass our faith on to the next generation. If we don't, who will? It's as simple as that. And if a generation is born that does not love the Lord, well, just look in the Old Testament and see what happens. Let's just say it's not good people. Not. Good.

Ok, on to Deut. 6. Moses has just given the people the Ten Commandments and begins the chapter by telling the people to follow the commands in the land they are about to enter - you know the one - flowing with milk and honey. (But that generation doesn't get to enter. If you want to find out why read further in your Bible. But again, I digress) Read what God promises the people if they keep his commands: enjoying long life, it will go well with you, you will increase greatly. Hey, sounds good to me!

Verse 5 is one that many of us have heard before. Easier said than done in my opinion, but I'm working on it. Verses 6 through 9 really have been hitting home for me recently. Have the command be upon my heart? Press them on my children I can understand. Talking about them I get. Tie them as symbols on my hands? Bind them on my forehead? Write them on my doorframes and gates? Now keep in mind that I am in no way an expert on the Bible. But I do know that people used to actually do these things. I know that they had boxes tied around their heads which contained written Scripture. Well, no one I know does that. So I got to thinking, how am I supposed to do these things as a mother in the 21st century? What does that look like?

What I feel God telling me is that in my life it should look like studing His Word. Memorizing it. Quoting it and teaching it and reading it to my children*. Having frequent discussions with my children about God and who He is. Although I don't have anything tied to my hands, I can remember God and honor Him by everything I do with my hands. And you probably won't see me with a box tied around my head anytime soon, but I would like to live in a way that whenever someone sees me they see a resemblance of God.Which brings me back to my blog. I had thought about starting a blog for some time before reading Deut. 6. I thought it would be a great way to keep all the family up-to-date on the Munchkin. But then I realized it could be so much more. I could share my struggles and accomplishments. Maybe encourage others who are going through the everyday motions while trying to live a life for God. Try and find God's hand in the small things. I know God has called me to be a stay-at-home mom, but sometimes I feel like it isn't bringing anyone any closer to Christ or bringing Him any glory. So I've got to find ways to make that happen. I'm struggling in life, just like everyone else, but every day I wake up determined to move one step closer to what God has promised me, my land flowing with milk and honey. His Heaven. For some reason I feel an "amen" is appropriate here. So...amen.

I would love to hear how God has spoken to you about Deuteronomy 6. If it is one you haven't read in awhile, did He reveal something to you in a new way? Or, is there a particular scripture (besides this one) that has recently got you thinking about things in a new light? Please share. Leave a comment if you like. I'd love to hear from you.

*No, I am not pregnant. Yes, I realize I only have one child. But some day we hope to have more.

1 comment:

  1. I believe you have the meat of the verse. ie: let God's love shine through your works and your words or more commonly known as teach by example. Also, as a stay at home mother, yes you are not coming in contact with a lot of people right now, but God gave you the heart to do what you are, and you are training up your child, planting a seed so to speak. We don't always see the results of our efforts. And sometimes the we see it years later, indirectly from you, perhaps through munchkin, or someone whose life munchkin has touched. Your and your husband's faith (like mine) came from a seed planted by someone who loved them. Then it grew as it was watered by many people throughout your lives. And yes, I see it constantly growing in each of you. God bless you for following God's will for your life.

    ReplyDelete